Last year at Christmas, my cousin Joanne & I enjoyed our time together for a week of cooking & baking & eating. Golly, all the food we prepared would’ve been more than enough for a huge feast – thankfully we had plenty of family around to help us eat it all. We had several requests of what people would like for us to make & we tried to accommodate everyone, kinda like our Christmas gifts to everyone 🙂 One day my husband came home from work going on & on about a cake someone brought in & said we really needed to try & make it. Instantly we hopped on the internet searching for Chocolate Eclair Cakes & going over the ingredients with Jimmy to see if it would match up with what he had. Below is what we found to be the closest & let me tell you…..YUM!
Unfortunately my cousin & I can’t be together this year for Christmas but I do plan on making this cake – we may have to Skype & have a Chocolate Eclair Cake eating party….hmm, that’s an idea!
Over Thanksgiving weekend I make this cake at the request of my husband. While I was at the grocery store picking up the ingredients, I saw sitting next to the vanilla pudding, a white chocolate pudding flavor. We decided to give it a whirl & let me tell you, we aren’t looking back at the vanilla! The white chocolate flavor just complimented everything all the more. So, I’m going to update the ingredients list below with white chocolate listed & strongly recommend you use it as well! I doubt you’ll regret it 😉
- 2 (3oz) packages of INSTANT white chocolate (or vanilla) pudding mix (yes Joanne I am making sure you notice the INSTANT part)
- 3c milk
- 1 (8oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (16oz package) chocolate graham crackers
- 1/4c milk
- 1/3c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1c white sugar
- 2T butter
- 1t vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine pudding mix & 3 cups of milk; mix well. Fold in the whipped topping and beat with the mixer for 2 minutes
- In a buttered 9×13 baking dish, spread a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the dish
- Spread 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the crackers, then top with graham crackers. Spread the remaining pudding mix over the crackers. Top the second pudding layer with another layer of crackers.
For the topping:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1/4 cup of milk, cocoa & sugar. Allow to boil for 1 minute then remove from heat and add butter & vanilla. Mix well & cool.
- Once cooled, pour sauce over graham cracker layer and refrigerate until set.
This is where we originally found this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-eclair-cake/